Tuesday, March 6, 2012

End of Day 1

Well I haven't told anyone off or killed anyone today & I still look normal.  I have noticed some side effects.  I'm warm, my mind is foggy & I'm having some bizarre pain in my lower back and left leg.

I've decided to be in as many pictures for the next few weeks as I can...you know... before the moon face comes.  Then there will be NO pictures.  Maybe I should go get fam pics taken just in case...

I've also decided, after reading A LOT today that I'm going to go gluten-free.  There's been no medical research proving that gluten effects your kidneys at all but I have read account after account of people with FSGS having great success with it.  Some even refused steriods, went gluten-free, and went into complete spontaneous remission.  I'm not going to go off the pred but hopefully it'll help things along so the duration can be shorter.

It's going to totally suck but that seems to be there general theme of a chronic illness.  I just think that with most things, a lot can be solved (and a lot of medications avoided) through diet changes.  I've definitely found that to be true in my life.  It takes a lot of discipline.  Sometimes I have that & sometimes I don't.  But when it comes down to my health, I've gotta suck it up and do it.

Some people also say to go no dairy.  I'm going to worry about that one later.

The fact is that pred takes every single carb/sugar and turns it into fat.  There are some people who religiously follow a 1200-1400 cal diet and STILL gain weight steadily on pred.  THAT BLOWS.  I don't want to wait until I'm 20 lbs over weight before I try to do something about it.  It starts now.

3 comments:

THE ORMES said...

My sister had to go gluten-free and generally dairy-free, etc for her health. She has a blog with her recipes and a bit of her experiences. Hope this helps!!

http://thecluelesschef.blogspot.com/

Kari said...

I had some prednisone injections for a week or so when they thought I had MS....oh I for see lots of venting.....I bet u will feel like the stay puft marshmallow man.....I sure did...I got so swollen I felt like my throat was closing off.. And the sleepless night and heart racing....ugggg....so vent away..i just did!

Loriann said...

I just happened to notice you posted my GF pizza crust recipe on your blog, scrolled through, went in to send this comment and noticed that, lo and behold, my sister Rachel apparently knows you, already commented, and apparently sent you my way to my cluelesschef blog to begin with. I am so, so, so sorry for everything you're going through. My issues aren't kidney related, but I have auto-immune issues and have experienced SO many of your random symptoms- muscle pain, fogginess, weight gain. All I can say is I think you're blog is great, informative, and probably the most therapeutic thing you can do for yourself and others who are sufferring. And... keep up the gluten free thing. It doesn't solve all of my issues by any means, but I can say it's made a HUGE difference in at least eluminating enough of them to help me fight my fight and feel like I at least have some control!