Monday, March 19, 2012

Blessed

I just finished my 2nd week on Prednisone.  It has kind of rocked.  It forced me to eat healthy things.  I have still been juicing lots of veggies and some fruits & I've found wonderful concauctions that don't taste too darn bad.  I really should post pictures-- its amazing.  Tonight I filled up my entire big colander full of spinach (from my garden), kale, cucumber, sweet peppers, celery, parsley, carrots (also from my garden), apples, lemons, an orange, & a pear.  It made enough for 3 big cups of juice.  I then added a little pineapple juice to it (which has to be kept separate until drinking).  I'm loving it.  I've also been 100% gluten free. I've done it before but I'm a much better cook now so I'm actually not missing gluten at all.  I've been making some rocking meals.

Last week's lack of sleep was getting a little disconcerting but I've found that 1/2 an Ambien is enough to get me a good night's sleep without being hung over.  The Ambien was poached from a friend because of an insurance hang up trying to get my Lunesta on Friday.  I didn't have time to make it to the pharmacy today but hopefully I'll have it tomorrow.  I don't want to take a pill to sleep every night so there are going to be some nights with little sleep but I caught up this weekend & it felt nice.

I'm still on overdrive-- always having to do something.  My house is really clean.  For me, anyway.  I'm able to stay on top of it & that's not a talent of mine {usually}.

Now here's for the great news-- at my appointment on Friday, my dr. took a urine sample.  They put one of those test strips in (like they do at the OBGYN when you're preggo) to test what's in your urine.  When I first saw her, I had so much protein that it couldn't be measured on the strip.  After my first 24 hour urine test, I was dumping 5+ grams a day.  On Friday, my protein in my urine was low enough to be measured.  So that means that whatever is going on is working.  Whether its the prednisone, or the gluten-free diet, or whatever... (I personally think its both).  YAY!

I've been doing my second 24-hour urine test today-- nothing like having an orange jug of pee in your fridge.  See-- here's proof.  You're welcome. (That's my green juice from tonight there too!)

I'll take it to the lab tomorrow, get some blood work too, & find out results Friday!

4 comments:

Jenae said...

Judging by your orange pee, you look a little dehydrated. :)
Keep up the good work. No way I would survive kidney disease. I'm proud of you.

Whidget said...

YAY!! I am so happy things are looking up finally. You're due. Love you!!!

Storaloppan said...

Girly, I would LOVE to chat with you on the phone about this. I read it all and went through the same things when I started prednisone. I'm glad you found my blog and the facebook group...hopefully it'll bring you some comfort and humor (although it seems like you might already have quite a bit of the humor part :)

Eva said...

Don't you just love the orange jug? I used to have to do the 24hr every month but now I'm down to twice a year thanks to going on a gluten and dairy free diet to help maintain my FSGS.